Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Yellow Squash Spaghetti, a fast, easy, light meal for these unbearable days!

Sorry for such a late post peeps but, I've had a really bad morning and am on auto-pilot right now but, realized that I'd forgotten to post this week.

Since it's a billion degrees outside no one wants to cook or bake in this! I took my fresh veggies that I got from the local farmers market

and some leftovers and made the boys' a quick lunch. It was less than 10 total minutes, it was healthy and lite on a hot day. Proof that even on a horrible day, a stressful day or one that is just plain scorching, you can do it in no time flat! :)

Yellow Squash Spaghetti
1 yellow squash
small jar of leftover spaghetti or pizza sauce
salt
basil
cheese
*this usually serves just one


First thing I did was take my yellow squash and give it a good wash to get all the dirt and stuff off of it.

Then I diced a clove or two of garlic. Sauteed  them in a pan with a small amount of olive oil. Then added the pizza or spaghetti sauce and while that was coming to a simmer.

I used my potato peeler and thinly peel pieces of the squash all the way around. You do this over and over and over again until you get close to the core of seeds. You'll be left with a row of what looks like long, flat noodles.

Then in another pan with a little bit of olive oil spray and some salt. I sauteed them in a skillet for just a few minutes. Literally on a few minutes. How long you cook them depends on how crunchy you want your noodle to be. I do it for no more than 3 - 4 minutes.

Once they are warmed through the way that you would like them. Simply plate and add your sauce! Normally I would've made my own sauce but, they were hungry and was exhausted. You can even top with some Parmesan, or any other cheese you want. My boys of course used Daiya cheese. 

Again, not the prettiest pic but, they were chomping at the bit! :D

No comments:

Post a Comment